Fun Facts about Clare
The Irish Pride of Place Awards 2014 are sneaking up on us. This year the ceremony takes place in Ennis, Co. Clare.
You’ve been preparing for the ceremony but are you prepared for Clare?
One of Ireland’s most beautiful and interesting counties, we’ve put together some fun facts for you to build up the excitement for November 15th and this year’s Pride Of Place Awards Event:
- Clare has not one, but three famous natural feature points:
- The Coastline (home to the famous Cliffs of Moher)
- The Burren
- Loagh Derg
- Much of Clare is underlain by limestone
- The county colours are saffron and blue
- Clare is known as the banner county, due to its history of symbolic banners being led at important political events. It’s also home to some of history’s most well-known figures, including Michael Cusack, founder of the GAA, and former president Eamonn de Valera.
- Father Ted was filmed mostly in North Clare
- Clare is home to the most western airport in Europe – Shannon and indeed it was a local Clare man Brendan O’Reagan invented duty-free shopping in 1947.
- After visiting the birthplace of his great-grandfather in (you guessed it!) Clare, Muhammad Ali was made the first Honorary Freeman of Ennis.
If this doesn’t get you even more excited for the Pride of Place Awards 2014, then we don’t know what will! Get down to Clare armed with these facts and prepare to blow away the locals with your knowledge!